Hi friends! Happy Friday! One of my favorite things that I have done in quarantine so far is writing letters to friends. The whole process is so fun: connecting with people outside of the internet, being creative, and receiving letters! The other day, I filmed a bit of when I was writing a set of letters to send out, so there is a video at the end of this post that is a “Write Happy Mail With Me” video! I love watching these kinds of videos when I write letters, and it was super fun to make as well, so I hope you enjoy it!
As I’ve been writing letters and decorating envelopes, there are 5 things I use to make a standard looking letter look super cute and aesthetic, and I thought I would share them with you today.
- Stickers. They are the easiest way to add some color and a cute design to any piece of mail. Generally I use stickers on envelopes, but they also do well as the seal for a tissue paper wrapped package or as extra decoration on the letter itself. They are so fun and there are so many designs! They are also generally pretty cheap and are also easy to DIY (so I’ve heard: I haven’t actually tried myself).
- A bookmark or other little trinket. I read a lot of books, and a lot of my friends that I send letters to also read a lot, so a bookmark is always a nifty thing to include in a letter. I have also sent washi tape swatches, postcards, stickers, or photos. A little something in a letter makes it that much more fun to open!
- A tea bag. This is kind of along the lines of a little trinket, but this one is special to me, because I always drink whatever tea I receive in letters while I’m writing them. It just makes that tea and letter writing time more special and it’s one of my favorite little habits.
- Washi tape! I LOVE washi tape: there are just so many designs that are all so cute and add so much color and aesthetic and just. I LOVE washi tape, if you couldn’t tell. My friend Hailey (who I actually introduced to the world of washi, hehe #sorrynotsorry), makes GORGEOUS envelopes out of washi tape, if you want some inspo ideas.
- A piece of handmade art! This is my personal favorite (though a VERY close tie with washi tape ;). I love doing handlettered art pieces, and it is SO FUN to include one in the letters I write! It’s just a little tangible keepsake that can be kept around, and is just so fun! It doesn’t have to be hand lettered art, though; it can be a handmade bookmark, or a drawing, or just about anything that you made yourself. Having that extra hand-made touch just makes a letter more special, in my option. 🙂
Speaking of handmade art, I have a super exciting announcement! (Yes, this is my second big announcement in two weeks, hehe). I just opened an “Instagram shop,” called Coffee With a Side of Art! It’s not /really/ an Instagram shop, but it’s pretty much going to function as one. It works in conjunction with my Ko-Fi link, and basically, you get a hand-lettered art piece in exchange for the price of a cup of coffee ($3)!
It’ll be a fun way to get my art out into the world, and I’m really looking forwards to seeing what I can do with that space in the future as well! I’m so excited about Coffee With a Side of Art, and I hope you are too!
As an extra bonus, there is a giveaway happening on the instagram right now, where you’ll get a chance to win four custom hand-lettered quotes! Head to @coffeewithasideofart to enter!
Finally, like I promised, here is the “Pen Pal With Me” video I made! It was super fun to edit, and I loved learning more editing tricks as I made it! I hope you enjoy!
Do you like sending letters? Do you like receiving letters? What is your favorite thing to receive in a letter? THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: DO YOU LIKE WASHI TAPE? Leave a comment and let me know!