Happy Weekend, everyone! I haven’t actually put up an actual blogpost up in a LONNNNNNNNNNG time but I’m here today with 5 Tips to Guarantee* Yourself a Better Morning!
*obviously it’s not /guaranteed/ guaranteed but I’ll do my best to make sure you have a better morning
I’m currently in the throes of my sophomore year of college, and free time is few and far between. I don’t have time to have an entire get-ready morning-routine much of the time, and time to myself is rare.
However, what I’ve come to realize is that if I get some time to myself in the morning and have a set morning routine, the rest of my day goes so much more smoothly and I have a much better mindset about the day. With that, I am more productive, I have a better attitude, and am overall just happier. (my introvert-ness is showing, huh?)
So what exactly do I do to guarantee myself a better morning? I’m about to tell you, right now!
- Get ready for the day THE NIGHT BEFORE. For me, it’s packing my backpack, picking out an outfit for the next day, setting out my Bible and journal, and making my coffee so I can just pour it over ice in the morning. Since I’ve been getting up before my roommate, I try to eliminate as many steps as I can so that I can just wake up, grab my stuff, and leave the room before making too much noise or turning on the light.
- Wake up EARLIER! I know we all have nights where we have to stay up late studying
(or socializing)and LIFE just happens, but I’ve been waking up before 7 every morning (which is 2 hours earlier than I used to 🙈) and just spending that time on myself (which sometimes does come in the form of studying) before the day officially starts.
- Spend some time with God before other things. I’m super prone to putting quiet time on the back burner, and forgetting about it for large amounts of time, but I’ve been back on the quiet time game, and it really is the best thing 😍 I’ll be the first to admit, my quiet time sometimes involves more Instagram than actual Bible reading, but I’ve been making the effort and prioritizing some time with God, and it’s been amazing. (more blogposts on this topic coming soon!)
- Calendar block out your day. I have other blogposts that touch on this here and here, but I really really like planning out my day before I start it, so that I always know what I’m supposed to be doing and what I’ll be doing at any given point during the time. It used to stress me out and make me think I needed to have stuff in place for every single minute of the day, but then I realized I could calendar block in relaxing time, and now I love it again!
- Study some before your classes start! I really REALLY don’t like showing up to class unprepared, and I always feel behind if I don’t have a little background knowledge/done a little background reading before I show up to class (where are my premed/bio/chem kids at?) so studying a little before I go to class has helped me understand the material so much better and just makes my classes for that day so much easier and smoother!
For the past couple weeks, I’ve had this morning (and evening!) routine, and my life is CHANGED. I’ve been able to face the day so much more prepared (I used to wake up, muddle around some, probably finish some homework, and then run off to class. Yes, it was as much of a mess as it sounds), and I feel so much more organized and productive in the morning!